Sunday, March 5, 2017

Book 3: Minor Obstacles


So, by the end of last week, I was feeling ready to start the actual process of transcription. However, I needed a song to begin with. Up to this point, I had 0 experience actually transcribing anything, so I didn't really know how hard of a song I should be choosing. I didn't want to pick one that was hard t the point that I wouldn't even be able to do it. But, on the other hand, I didn't want to pick on that was easy enough that it looked...lame. While wandering through random transcription forums, I saw many people also ask the same question I had. Most of the replies I saw either said to pick a song I really enjoyed, or to pick a really easy (I'm talking happy birthday/twinkle twinkle little star easy). Since Ii doubt I would be able to successively do any of songs I genuinely like, I decided to just listen answer #2 and start transcribing Happy Birthday. Just to be totally clear, I don't enjoy listening to Happy Birthday, especially not after having to replay it 20 plus times.

(Happy Birthday?)
Now I know you guys are probably thinking, "Dude, Happy Birthday's like 2 lines using like the same 4 notes each time. You couldn't even get it on the 5th replay?". Let me tell you, that was exactly what I was thinking. In my head, my brain told me, "Chop chop, lets get this done in 10 minutes so we can take that nap we've both been thinking about." So by the 25 minute mark, I finally realized that this would be just a weensy bit harder than I thought it would be. 
(This is what gave me my drive to continue)

I did end up finishing it, just 30 minutes behind schedule ( I didn't end up getting the nap in. There happens to be a glitch where whenever I try to set the time signature it adds an entire new line of rests that can't be deleted. Pretty sure its not my fault. I'll try and get my sheet music up as soon as I can). But wait, I will say that it wasn't totally my fault. After really getting myself in the zone, I realized I had no where to actually write notes out on. 
So, I went online and fount the first online notation site that google gave me. It happened to be unnecessarily difficult (in my opinion). I don't really want for this turn into a rant so I'll just list a few things that I personally thought were annoying.

1. You can't just delete something, you have to replace it.
2. It's easy to change your mistakes. All you have to do is go back and replace the note...which also happens to screw up the order of EVERY SINGLE NOTE AFTER IT.
3. It has a cleverly hidden new draft button which I am still yet to find. 

But uh....I finished right? So yay. I'm planning on getting into a real song next week. Wish me luck. 



No comments:

Post a Comment